Tips For Keeping Fit Over Christmas
Lots of people tend to stop their fitness routines during the Christmas holidays, claiming they don’t have time to do their workouts. Lack of exercise and excessive eating is one of the main reasons for gaining weight. Here are a few tips to keep you fit and healthy during the holiday season, whilst still enjoying the festivities and spending time with your family.
- Don’t skip meals thinking you can save the calories and eat more later in the day. This doesn’t work and you can end up eating more, it’s better to eat a good breakfast so you stay fuller for longer helping to avoid having to snack too much.
- Keep active by going for a walk. Try to take your family and friends along with you so it can be more social.
- Take the stairs and do some strength exercises to burn more calories. Don’t be tempted to miss the strength exercises and just do cardio, as strength work can burn just as many calories as cardio whilst building muscles. This will help you to stop gaining extra fat if you over eat.
- Do shorter, more intense workouts, these can give similar benefits of longer, less intense workouts.
- Try not eat too much, you can still eat your favourite foods but take smaller portions, choose a smaller plate so you aren’t tempted to add too much to your plate, your brain will think you are eating more than you are.
- Eat slowly and chew your food, so you feel like you have eaten more.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and chose lower calorie alcoholic drinks, like white wine, champagne and vodka.
- Stock up on vitamins and eat some fruits and vegetables.
- Get enough sleep, the lack of sleep can lead to hormones problems and weight gain.
- Enjoy your Christmas and don’t worry if you have to do less exercise, a rest can give your body time to recover from all the hard training and you will feel good for the New Year once you get back into your routine again.