Yoga heals the nervous system, reducing tension and anxiety. It calms the mind and loosens tight muscles, helping you to let go of any worries. If you learn to let go of your worries during a Yoga session you will learn to let go at other times also and with regular practice, you will feel calmer, more relaxed and happier over all.
Try these 3 yoga poses for stress relief, relaxation and improved wellbeing
Childs pose relaxes and quietens the mind. It relieves stress, improves the central nervous system, reduces headaches, stretches the lower back, hips, thighs, ankles, shoulders and neck.
- Kneel on your hands and knees then release your hands and knees to the floor keeping your knees hip width apart.
- Exhale and slowly lower your buttocks to the floor .
- Lengthen the back of your neck and slowly rest your forehead on the floor. Either stay with your hands reached out overhead or gently place them by your thighs with the palms facing up.
- Take take several slow breaths and relax, holding the position for up to 2 minutes.
Downward Facing Dog
This Downward Facing dog pose helps to the reduce stress fast, energising and reducing tiredness by improving the blood circulation to the whole body. It can relieve headaches, neck and shoulder tension and also helps to strength bones and muscles.
- Kneel on your hands and knees then slowly push your hips up by straightening your knees and elbows so your body forms a V shape. Take a few deep breaths and hold the pose for as long as you feel comfortable building up to up to 2 minutes.
The Triangle pose helps to reduce stress, anxiety, depression and tiredness whilst toning and stretching the whole body. It will also improve digestion, help to reduce body fat by improving the metabolism, increase bone density and improve balance.
- Standing upright, extend your right foot out to the side about 4 feet in width with your foot facing out to 90 degrees.
- Bend down to the right side whist exhaling and hold your right ankle or calf (you can place your hand on a block just behind your foot if easier).
- Inhale and lift the left hand over your head, keeping it straight.
- Hold this position for unto 1 minute, then repeat on the other side.
Photo’s courtesy of PIXABAY